Skip to main content

School Profile

Head of School: Mrs. Nichole Nietsche

Elementary Principal: Mrs. Lynn Collins

High School Principal: Mrs. Lise LeTellier

Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges

 

Community: Located in the Pioneer Valley, 90 miles west of Boston, 10 miles from Springfield. Easy access to the Massachusetts Turnpike, exit 3 and Rte. 91, exit 16. Westfield is home to Westfield State University and surrounded by colleges in Springfield, Amherst and Holyoke.

Westfield is situated at the western edge of the downfaulted Connecticut River Valley where the Westfield River emerges from the Berkshire Hills and flows through the center of the city on its way to the Connecticut River some ten miles (15 km) downstream.

Westfield is bordered on the east by linear cliffs of volcanic trap rock known as East Mountain and Provin Mountain. They are part of the Metacomet Ridge, a mountainous trap rock ridgeline that stretches from Long Island Sound to nearly the Vermont border. Both mountains are traversed by the 114-mile Metacomet-Monadnock Trail, that also crosses the Westfield River with an ill-advised fording or a safer road-walk across the bridge at the junction of Routes 187 and 20.

Westfield is on the fringe of the greater Northeast megalopolis—the most densely populated region of the United States—and has experienced substantial land development for suburban residential and commercial uses for the past six decades. Yet it borders hilltowns to the west that were depopulated of subsistence farmers in the 19th century as land became readily available on the western frontier. With population dipping below ten per square kilometer in some upland townships, forests are reverting almost to pre-settlement conditions with wild turkey, bears, coyotes and even moose returning after absences perhaps measured in centuries. This transition over a few kilometers from the 21st century urbanization to populations densities nearly as low as early colonial times is notable if not unique.

School: St. Mary's Parish School is a Roman Catholic, co-educational, school serving students in Westfield, and the surrounding communities and parishes for over 116 years. Students are accepted from preschool - grade 12.

Located on our campus you will find St. Mary's Parish Church, St. Mary's Rectory, St. Mary's Parish Center, the preschool building, the prekindergarten building, St. Mary's Parish Elementary School (which also houses the middle school on the third floor) and St. Mary's Parish High School. 

St. Mary's Parish Preschool: The preschool takes a thematic approach to learning. Themes will give the perfect balance of education and fun. Weekly Reader Pre-K will be used to support the teaching goals. Each issue is built on a firm foundation of skills to build student knowledge and reinforce curriculum. To balance out the daily schedule, teacher-directed activity is alternated with child-directed activity. Children have ample time to explore, discover, and learn through play.

St. Mary's Pre K: This program uses the Scholastic Big Day for Pre K Early Learning Program. This program is aligned with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks. Big Day is an effective early learning program that embraces children's natural curiosity and encourages them to explore and connect to the world around them. Each day is organized around three Big Experiences - Whole Group, Circle Time Lessons, and a Big Experience.

St. Mary's Elementary School: At the elementary and middle levels, challenging academic standards and deep-seated Gospel values are implemented throughout the daily curriculum. Curriculum guidelines are set forth by the Diocese of Springfield and meet or surpass all state-mandated curriculum frameworks. Our goal is assisting each student in living the Gospel, being critical thinkers, self-motivators, and developing into good citizens.

St. Mary's High School: Over the period of four years, our students are offered the opportunity to pursue a curriculum of courses as suggested by selective colleges and universities. Additionally, St. Mary's offers electives in Art, Music, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, and English. St. Mary's curriculum affords gifted and ambitious students the opportunity to undertake honors and advanced placement level courses in Math, Science, World Language, and English. 98% of our graduates go on to higher education, while many of the remaining 2% opt to serve our country as members of the armed forces. 88% will attend a four-year university.